Solving: No microphone sound in Skype, when using remote desktop in Windows 7: No audio devices are installed.

I was using Microsoft Remote Desktop on a Microsoft Windows 7 machine to remotely control an other Windows 7 machine an I was running Skype on the remote machine. There was coming sound through the boxes of the local machine, but the microphone was not recorded even when the settings of the Local Resources where: Remote audio playback [Play on this computer] and Remote audio recording [Record from this computer].

image

The problem was found in the control panel > sound > recording > Select a recording device below to modify its settings:

this list was empty.

Solution

After setting the registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\fDisableAudioCapture] to [0] on the remote machine and reconnecting the problem was solved.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

12 comments

1. Dave says:

My remote pc (Win7) already has that [0] setting in the registry. I also had the capture audio from this computer selected. No joy. I’d much rather find a button to push rather than rely on a software purchase. http://www.sound-over-rdp.com/purchase.html Any ideas?

2. Nope the [0] setting fixed my problem, sorry.

3. Steve says:

The [0] setting fixed my problem, too. Thanks!

4. Jon says:

my setting was 0 already but i changed it anyway and it worked after that. cantsay whether was the fix i had tried some other stuff too, sorry

5. DManG says:

solved my prolem too Thanks!!!

6. Jürgen says:

Hello

Is ther also a way to enable Video (my Webcam) in a remote desktop session (win7 win7)?

The audio redirection works fine!

Kind regards
    Jürgen

7. pethead says:

Which version of Windows 7 do you have?
    Pro version has restricted remote audio capture and cannot be enabled by setting to 0 that key of reg described. In my system of Pro version I cannot see any capture devices in audio recording list on remote machine anyway.

8. luca says:

hi guys
    I’m trying to use remote audio redirection on win2008 r2.
    Is there any workaround?
    I already tried with audio redirection in editing group policy, but it doesn’t work.
    sorry for ot about 2008r2

9. Mike Lindauer says:

10. Mike Lindauer says:

I just Found this page changing it to a [0] did not help Skype audio but did make my phone work now. Any other ideas for Skype. I too am using win7 Pro.

11. Chris says:

Yay, worked for me.

RDPIng from a W7 to W10 machine, had to change the registry on the W10 machine and its working fine now.

12. Fin says: