Most express products have some things in common:
– Contain the same features as the full product (except for some limitations like, no more then 4GB memory or no more then 10 users etc.)
– Free of charge
– User profile specific (multiple users on one machine have independent product configuration and processes)
These products are created mainly for development purposes.
More and more I am shifting to these express products for the O in OTAP and for the build servers, because these products have the following advantages:
– Free of charge.
– No configuration.
– Fast and lightweight installation.
– Performance improvements for DEV en build server machines.
– Build servers can use clean instances to run integration tests.
– Easily to restore to new instance.
When a per user instance is corrupted it’s very easy to restore it.
– Multiple users can work on one virtual machine, without interfering with each other.
So each developer can change all the things he or she wants to research some new code, without breaking a shared instance of IIS or SQL Server.
Of course for the T, the A and P in OTAP, I use the full products.